Some of you know my blog from the time living in Australia (www.lil-in-oz.blogspot.com) , but so much happened since leaving Down Under. I went living in Paris for six months for an internship at the German National Tourism Board (Deutsche Zentrale für Tourismus / Office National Allemand du Tourisme), got back to further studying at uni, wrote a diploma thesis and finally graduated with my "Diplom Betriebswirtin" and "Bachelor of Business".
Consequently, after that it was all about finding a job, getting a first foot into the door to the world of the working. And yes, that job I found in Norway. So here I am now, in Oslo.
How everything started:
My aunt Herad - who has lived already in Scandinavia for many years - has a friend up here: Mari. Some of you might indirectly know Mari from the funny/nice emails Herad uses to send around, because Herad receives most of them actually from Mari. But anyway...
One day I found out that this Mari is working also in tourism, so the same industry I chose for my studies of Tourism Management. So during my job hunting period I decided to contact Mari, presenting myself as Herad's niece, and to ask her if she is still working for that company called Scandinavian Image (a Destination Management Company in Scandinavia). Well, she wasn't working there anymore, but she still has a lot of contacts within the industry and offered to forward my CV.
That's how it came that I got in touch with Anette, Managing Director of the Haman Group. She didn't have any position available when I was in contact with her for the first time. But she was impressed by my CV and wanted me to recall her at a later point in time. So I did in February 2009. And indeed, this time she could offer me a position in her group department and she immediately invited me to a job interview. ... and a week later I was on my way to Oslo.
Of course, arriving in Oslo in February means arriving in the middle of the winter season... meaning for Scandinavia a lot of snow. I think the pictures below (taken during the 2 days I was in Oslo for the interview) document this quite well:
(when flying over the little islands in the Fjord)
(Oslo harbour)
(Oslo harbour with view on Aker Brygge)
(Det Kongelige Slott - the Royal Palace)
(Stortinget - the Parliament)
(on the way back to the airport: a marina for little sailing boats completely covered by snow)
Anyway, I don't know how many "competitors" I had, but I might have left a good impression on Anette and Franck (Head of the group department). It seems I convinced them, because just a couple of days later I had the "yes" of Anette: I was accepted, got the job and on Saturday 21st March I sat in the plane flying to Oslo... starting my "new part of life" on Monday 23rd.
...and this new stage of life, I think, merits another blog!

No comments:
Post a Comment