Friday, 13 January 2012

The world is small...

...and everyone comes from big Meckenheim!

This is so crazy and unbelievable:

I'm member of a group called "Abi 2002 KAG Meckenheim" on facebook. That is a group for all those of my hometown Meckenheim in Germany that made the A-levels with me at my school in 2002. That is basically for all my school mates. This group is currently pretty active as this year 2012 we celebrate our 10-years A-levels anniversary and a big party is planned in our all hometown.
In this connection I made a post, asking if the communicated date 30.6. will be definite or if there were any changes to be expected, as once I've booked my flights I won't be able to join any other date if changed. I finished the post with "greetings from the North".
Not long after that I received a message on facebook from a former class mate called Lucia, saying "I'm curious, but what exactly do you mean with 'from the NORTH'? I currently live for six months in Oslo and during Christmas I was at home and accidentially met Vera (another girl from our school year) and she also lives in Oslo. Don't tell me you as well?!?" And of course my answer: "Yes, exactly, Oslo also for me!"

So there are two girls from my class at school also living in Oslo, Lucia and Vera, and noone knew about the others. Well, we hadn't been too much in touch at school times, but still.
When Lucia and Vera had met on Christmas and figured out they both live in Oslo, they had set an appointment for having a drink together this Friday after work. And now that they discovered also my presence in this part of the world, I was welcome to join them as well.

As you might know, Tim, also a friend of us here in Oslo, he is also from Meckenheim. Well, he's not our year (some 7 years older), but still. When we two had met here in Oslo for the first time in January 2010 we were already surprised about this coincidence, but now also the two girls which are even from my class... that is even more incredible! And please note, Meckenheim is all, but a big town. It just counts some 25.000 souls.
So when we knew we would met this Friday, I invited of course also Tim who unfortunately wasn't available that evening. Well, that won't have been the last "Mecki-meeting".

Anyways, so we three girls eventually met for a glass of wine/beer and exchanged of course all the details of how ending up in Oslo and what we had been up to the past 10 years. Briefly, Lucia is only for a study related six months period here and will already leave Oslo again end of Fabruary. Vera had partially been studying in Trondheim and had ever since kept that connection to Norway, first with a job in Kristiansand and now - for already two whole years by now - in Oslo... without ever having met each other.

Unfortunaltely that evening at "Dattera til Hagen" wasn't too long as everyone already had further plans for the second part of the evening. However, the next day I was going cross-country skiing with a bunch of other people and since that was also Lucia's plan I had offered her to join... and she did :-)

So more on that in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment