Saturday, 3 December 2011

IKEA assembly day

My flatmate Mari had some pretty old closets in her room which were already falling apart. So it was really time to replace them, especially the strangely yellow-coloured one which had even lost the back already. Thus for Mari's birthday I gave her an IKEA voucher as a contribution to her new clothes furniture. For some reason it was only recently that Mari and I made it to IKEA to finally get the wardrobe substitues and some other small stuff. The IKEA people were actually pretty in delivering it all to our apartment right the next day, but to get them here to set it all up they had wanted 1.800 NOK (ca. 230€!) and would only had availabilty for an afternoon in January...
However, Mari having problems with her back we definitely needed help with all that. So yesterday was the big day for Mari to finally get her new wardrobe up :-)
First of all Mari started taking out all the clothes, shoes and whatsoever was all hidden in these old furnitures.
Subsequently we could start to dismantle them both.
At 2 p.m. Inema, a friend of mine, came over after his work at the close by Scandic KNA hotel to help us carry down all the many single pieces of the two wardrobes. Luckily together this was done pretty quickly. Inema then left to catch up with some sleep after his night shift.
When Inema left, Arlene, a friend of Mari, took over and she helped me and Mari setting up the new IKEA acquisitions named PAX and KOMPLEMENT. For never ever in her life having had an IKEA furniture she was doing a pretty good job :-)



While Arlene and I were screwing, lifting, nailing and holding together the single pieces Mari took care of our well-being and had prepared some yummy corn-bread with melted butter and honey!

Strengthened by the good snack we took up again our assembly job.


The bases of the two new wardrobes were actually pretty quickly set up, but the doors caused us some "minor" issues, especially when it came to drilling the holes for the knobs. I mean, I'm pretty used to setting up IKEA furniture - which is also pretty idiot proof -, but I kind of never in my life had a drill in my hand... except for when I had to get a hole in my IKEA door when I got a new wardrobe in summer. But after that I wouldn't have called me drill-experienced to make it easier this time...


But we eventually made it :-) :-) :-)
Only that it took us in total about 4,5/5 hours just to set up two PAX wardrobes...


At least Mari has now some new place to put her clothes!

Girls, we made it!!!


Actually pretty exhausted, I quickly jumped under the shower. I was already delayed, but I couldn't just leave at 95% of the assembly job done. Audrey had invited me and some other friends to a Breton dinner full of good food. She had prepared some cakes and other snacks for a starter, Carla had brought along some Italian antipasti, then we enjoyed a couple of yummy salted crêpes and a sweet crêpes with caramelised apples and ice cream... Oh my God, I was so filled yesterday. And all that good food was well accompanied by wine, but also some typical French apple cidre we managed to get hold of here in Norway.
Unfortunately the battery of my camera was empty, so I had put it at Audrey's place in the charger. But I was so distracted by the good food and the nice conversations that I totally forgot about the battery and to take some pictures...
Well, you always get bombarded and overloaded with pictures on my blog so I think once in a while you can also do without my pictures :-)

Merci, Audrey, pour l'invitation à ce dîner superb!


No comments:

Post a Comment